First, I wanted to say how great this list is. I'm a newbie FreeBSD admin and, besides the Handbook and "Absolute FreeBSD" (which never seems to leave my desk), this list is the best resource I have.

I just had a huge scare today... One of the websites on my server uses a large Mysql database. Somehow, one of the tables got corrupted today.

I have been blithely backing up mysql with a simple cron script that ran mysqldump every night. Simple, reliable, and I've never needed it.

Today, when I realized the database was corrupted, I scrambled for my backup, and realized that if I hadn't caught the problem today, tomorrow my backup would have been overwritten, and I would have been... well, not a happy camper.

Again, I have run into a problem which is stupidly obvious to experienced admins, I'm sure. I want to slap myself, but don't have time. I'll do that after I have a better backup system in place.

I am just about to dive into Google in search of a solution, but thought I would fire off a quick request, in case there is an obvious solution that everyone uses. If there is, a name or URL will do. I'll figure out the rest.

Any hints much appreciated. Not going home until this is fixed...

-- John