On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:30:28AM -0500, Robinson, Scott wrote:
> To all-
>
> I just set up FreeBSD on my PC as the sole OS.  But FreeBSD is not
> recognizing my IDE CD-ROM drive.  Configuring the kernel I made ATA/ATAPI
> IP #14 with 0x1F0 ( I left the flags alone). I confirmed that my NEC CDROM
> is set as a slave on the primary port with the hard drive set as master.
> The probe response says: ata0:  ATA identify retries exceeded.  What else
> can I try?
>
> Thanks.

I might be missing something obvious, but I'm not sure I understand your
description of how you configured the kernel for the CD-ROM.  As far as
I know you should only need to add the following line to your kernconf
for most IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives:

device          atapicd

What is "IP #14 with 0x1F0"?

Have you tried using a diff cable, or maybe temporarily moving it to
it's own channel?  Do you know 100% that the CD-ROM is good?

Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C