Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
Hi there,

I hope someone can help. Due to they way my HD has been sliced I had
to move mysql database to /usr/local/mysql. All works fine. Last week
I added this entry

#expire bin logs
expire_logs_days = 7

to /usr/local/mysql/my.cnf

I restarted the MySQL server and now I have been waiting for the
binlogs to automatically expire but this is not happening:

$ ls -l /usr/local/mysql

-r--r--r--  1 mysql  mysql        4954 Oct  1 07:30 my.cnf
drwx------  2 mysql  mysql        1536 Sep 27 07:10 mysql
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073745213 Sep  2 04:07 mysql-bin.000047
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073746878 Sep  7 03:48 mysql-bin.000048
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073745707 Sep 11 20:07 mysql-bin.000049
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   175527890 Sep 12 08:32 mysql-bin.000050
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql      128272 Sep 12 08:40 mysql-bin.000051
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073745119 Sep 17 04:35 mysql-bin.000052
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073747657 Sep 22 04:26 mysql-bin.000053
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073744456 Sep 27 03:28 mysql-bin.000054
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   986782722 Oct  1 07:32 mysql-bin.000055
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1073742442 Oct  6 04:18 mysql-bin.000056
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   536487381 Oct  8 07:45 mysql-bin.000057
-rw-r-----  1 mysql  mysql         209 Oct  6 04:18 mysql-bin.index

Do you have any idea why? Or if /usr/local/mysql/ is a correct
location for my.cnf file? Perhaphs it should go to /usr/local/etc/ ?

If it matters, I use
$ pkg_info -Ix mysql-s
mysql-server-5.0.67 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
from ports.

What's the output from running this SQL:  "SHOW BINARY LOGS ;" ?

MySQL can get confused if you physically move the data directory
-- especially if you set the logging directory explicitly in my.cnf rather than just accepting the default location.

Look at the mysql-bin.index file -- it's pure ascii text -- and
it should list all the known binlog file names.  If what you have doesn't
correspond with reality, then stop the mysql process, edit
that index file back into sanity and restart mysql.  Easy.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3
                                                 Kent, CT11 9PW