At 9:33 AM -0700 10/11/08, Kelly Jones wrote:
>newsyslog rotates logfiles so that messages.0.gz is yesterday's file,
>messages.1.gz is the day before's, etc.
>
>This is ugly.

IMHO, this is worse than merely ugly. I gave up "rotating" log
files a long time ago when I kept running into problems that
needed extensive time periods worth of log data with which to
resolve issues. I use some modifications to the periodic
scripts to do the log data archiving with time related names.

Of course, if you're generating megabytes of compressed log
data every day, this is likely impractical but it works well
for systems I normally use.
--

Walter M. Pawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wump Research & Company