On Oct 10, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

        Late last December my small network began falling apart.  Still
        not sure how, but a fellow from Dallas came to my rescue and from
        his home, slowly rebuilt and re-configured everything.  E.g.: for
        one thing, where I hack sendmail working via various kludges, he
        set up imap.  I had thought that was mostly for students....

        He also filled me in on jails.  Previously, I had my 1998 Kayak
        doing DNS and mail and web solo.  Jon created a jail and set
        things up there.  He used NFS to bring over things from a faster
        computer.  That's well and good; it makes sense to compile a
        suite that takes days on sage [Kayak @ 400MHz] on my Dell8200
        [2.4GHZ].  A few days ago I realized that I was missing some
        simple programs on sage.  I went into ports: empty.  Years ago
        there was a standalone script that let you fix or tune things.
        I thought it was on the hard drive as well as the CD set.

        Anybody?

        thanks for any clues!

        gary

-- Gary Kline [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix

You don't mention which version of FreeBSD you're using, but if it's at all recent, portsnap is your friend:

# mkdir -p /usr/ports && portsnap fetch extract # Do this once to fetch and set up the ports collection initially

Then add this to root's crontab:
1 3 * * * /usr/sbin/portsnap cron update

If portsnap is not on your system, you should probably upgrade, but you could try the packagge:
# pkg_add -r portsnap

Also, if you're administering a bunch of jails, ezjail is also your friend. See http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/ezjail/ (website is a bit out of date; 3.0 is released and in the ports collection).