On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 08:36:42PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to setup a Lanier LD160c (admincolor) that has a network
> interface.  I am new to FreeBSD and tried to follow the handbook.  I am able
> to print to a HP 5SI (corp-admin) with no problems.  There are no errors in
> the lpd-errs and the file is drained from the queue, but the printer does not
> print anything.  And this is a working printer to Windows.
> lpr -P admincolor testfile.txt
>
> printcap:
> corp-admin|hp|laserjet|Hewlett Packard LaserJet 5Si:\
>         :lp=\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/corp-admin:rm=corp-admin:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/crlfilter:sh:tr=\f:mx#0:
>
> admincolor|hp|laserjet|LANIER LD160c RPCS:\
>         :lp=\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/admincolor:rm=admincolor:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

If this printer is hooked up on the network (e.g. via Ethernet), I
believe you need to set the lp variable to the hostname or IP address of
the printer, e.g.:

admincolor|hp|laserjet|LANIER LD160c RPCS:\
        :lp=192.168.1.100\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/admincolor:rm=admincolor:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I think this also makes the assumption that the printer knows how to
speak the LPR protocol.  If it listens on a custom port, you can use
[EMAIL PROTECTED] instead.  See the printcap(5) man page, I guess.

P.S. -- I've never done this, it's just something I remember from
old days.  :-)