From: Travis Troyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CVSup Tags and release status
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:10:54 -0500

Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:55:01PM -0500, Travis Troyer wrote:

This says that RELENG_4 is for FreeBSD-STABLE and that RELENG_5_0 is "used only for security advisories and other seriously critical fixes." Is this still the case now that 5.0 is the current release version? I installed FreeBSD using the 5.0-Release ISO and want the most current, but stable packages, so I'm not sure which tag to use.

There's no such thing as "stable packages", because the ports
collection is not branched.
So what tag should I use for "FreeBSD-STABLE," as the handbook refers to it? Is RELENG_4 still correct?

Also, I'm trying to install NVidia's geforce driver, which says it is for FreeBSD -STABLE version 4.7 or later. When I try to compile it, it says that "This driver does not support FreeBSD 5.0/-CURRENT!" If I installed FreeBSD from the 5.0-Release ISO, wouldn't I be running 5.0-Stable and not 5.0-Current?

No, but anyway the point is that Nvidia doesn't support 5.0-anything.
The driver will probably work if you remove the warning, but you're on
your own support-wise.

Kris