On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 04:27:47PM +1030, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Quoting Peter Hollaubek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
<snip>
> Not being familiar with sh (and not thinking too well either) I assumed that
> "make buildkernel # make installkernel" was two linked commands on the one line,
> wheras it should have been read as:
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> with the # simply indicating root prompt (Thanks, Sue).

Yes, well # is the root prompt :). But it is also the start of a shell
comment ;).

make buildkernel && make installkernel

Means if and only if "make buildkernel" succeeds then do a "make
installkernel"
It is to do with the status a program terminates with (the exit status).

In practise doing a "make kernel" is ok as well, since that will build
and install it only if the build works, so achieving the same end.

> All-in-all there was actually nothing wrong (except my ignorance <g>)

Naahh..ignorance is me never having learnt how to bang a nail straight
into a piece of wood.

I do recommend you study up a bit on the shell though.
Indenspensible knowledge I am afraid.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson