Hi guys,

I know that in the mailing list a while ago people were wondering why
SoftUpdates were not enabled by default at install time on the / partition.

Now I installed FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE into a 4GB slice.  I did not create
seperate bits for / or /usr and such - but one large big space.

So I enabled SoftUpdates when I was busy with FDISK at the install time
and now it seems like it may have been a bad idea.  Now I know 4GB is
not much but it seems that there is no more space left.  And at times df -h
will tell me there is -180MB available on / !  [  Dont get me wrong here, I
am
not saying that SoftUpdates is causing me lack of space. ]

Now I know that I should just du to see whats taking up the space and I will
investigate that this weekend - but I was wondering if it was a bad idea to
have
gone and enabled SoftUpdates on / seeing as it is one big
"slice"/"partitoin"?

This machine is just a setup that I've got to play with - I'm sharing it
with WinXP
but would like to move across to FreeBSD full time.  So I have no problems
with
having to re-install it!

Kind regards,
Alistair.