Kirk Strauser wrote:
On Oct 28, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

If it is firefox3 you are talking about, create a symbolic link to the actual plugins directory:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libgnashplugin.so /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins

Well, that seems pretty obvious now. It leads me to wonder, though: what browsers *do* look in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins? Or is that just meant to be a convenient place to symlink into?
--
Kirk Strauser

The following excerpt from /usr/ports/UPDATING will completely answer your question :)

20080727:
 AFFECTS: users of www/firefox3

Update to 3.0.1_1,1; it no longer seeks for plugins in lib/browser_plugins, because few plugins that built with Firefox 2 can cause Firefox 3 to crash.
 We are working on making some changes with plugins directory by using
 www/linux-mplayer-plugin/Makefile.npapi. If there are some other plugins
 that work with Firefox 3 and you would like to use, you can copy them to
 ~/.mozilla/plugins or /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins manually for now.