On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:39:16PM +0000, pwn wrote:

> Jerry McAllister escreveu:

> >>just to clarify
> >>
> >>I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild. Then update the ports
> >>tree
> >>Re:both this task can be done using csup or cvsup and using the samples
> >>provided in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
> >>

> >Yup.   That is what I use.
> >

> >>Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel
> >>Re:(taking a look on hardware and editing generic for example)
> >>

> >Unless you are running something where absolute maximum performance
> >is critical, don't bother removing things from the kernel.  Just
> >limit customizing to adding those things you need that are not
> >in by default - some drivers, maybe.
> >

> >>As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
> >>Re:yes, but i dont want get in on FreeBSD dev team, so i guess STABLE is
> >>enought.
> >>

> >So, yup.   You seem to have it.
> >
> >////jerry
> >
> on this page
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
> it says:
> Tip: By default, when you build a custom kernel, all kernel modules will
> be rebuilt as well. If you want to update a kernel faster or to build
> only custom modules, you should edit /etc/make.conf before starting to
> build the kernel:

It would take more time to edit /etc/make.conf than you would
save in the kernel build.    If you are doing lots of kernel
builds while doing development, maybe then this would be worthwhile,
but kernel builds do not take enough time on modern machines to
bother speeding them up trivial amounts.   Basically, this is
saying you can fix things up so that it only builds those modules
that you are changing when you do a rebuild and skips the others.

This is not relevant to general system performance, just kernel
builds.

////jerry