Ivan Voras schrieb:
Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:48:16AM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

What would be the fastest way to do that sector by sector copy? I'm using dd right now,

dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/da0 bs=10000000

On the flip side, your blocksize (bs) there is quite high for no good
reason.  I'd pick something more like bs=64k or bs=128k.  The default
(512) is too small for what you want, but 10MBytes is silly.

Not only that, but "10000000" isn't even correct - it needs to be a
multiple of sector size. Generally, using suffixes will do the right thing:

dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/da0 bs=1m

OK, I understand that 10000000 isn't good, I just thought it wouldn't harm. But if it is a transfer rate killer then I'd better think of typing ^C now. The command is running for 6 hours now.

An idea how I can check the current amount of transfered byed alongside the running dd command? Or watch the current i/o rate?

--
Christoph