On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 08:26 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 08:15:25AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Are you sure this machine does not have hardware problems?  Please
> > download and run memtest86++ from a CD.  You shouldn't have to run this
> > very long (15-20 minutes at tops in this case); errors will be quite
> > obvious.
>
> Oops, this should have been memtest86+.  :-)
>
> http://www.memtest.org/

I did the memtest and it passed. I changed the shell to /bin/sh and it
now seems to work fine, but really saying, sh seems to be crippled
compared to csh, so I would like to get back to csh. I can help you guys
debug the problem, but I am not a debug wizard, so please forgive me if
I am slow on the uptake of some of your instructions:).

Regards,
Pramod Dematagoda