I have a disk img for qemu that is 4G, but disk usage is only 650M ... due to
how the image is created, it will grow to 4G, but only uses as much as it needs
... but, if I run a simple 'cp' on the file, it goes from:

tar have options for that

image: debian.img
file format: raw
virtual size: 4.0G (4294967296 bytes)
disk size: 652M

to:

image: dtc.img
file format: raw
virtual size: 4.0G (4294967296 bytes)
disk size: 4.0G

Is there a way of moving things around such that it *maintains* the holes,
instead of fills them in?

Thx

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)