On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:11:22PM +0100, Henrik W Lund wrote:
> >From: Justin Hopper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Cvsup Handbook Example
> >Date: 21 Feb 2003 11:42:05 -0800
> >
> >Sorry, this of course should have read 'after 665 and before 667'.
> >
> >On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 11:13, Justin Hopper wrote:
> >> Hello unamed person,
> >>
> >> For the rest of the world that doesn't follow Christian Mythology, 666
> >> is just the number after 667 and before 665.  I've used 666 in several
> >> coding examples, usually for client/server socket daemons, as most
> >> people don't have anything using port 666.
> >>
> >> Would you rather that the good people of FreeBSD be barred from using
> >> particular numbers?  This could pose a problem.
> >--
> >Justin Hopper
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >UNIX Systems Engineer
> >http://www.spry.com
>

> And let's remember that FreeBSD's mascot is a (if not THE) devil. ;)

This was all gone through a while back.
A "daemon" was for the ancient Greeks something like a "guardian angel".
It was corrupted into 'demon" with it's evil connotations by judaeo-christian
ignorance.
I believe that in Islam a demon is an ambivalent entity, capable of good
and bad.

I asked A Christian friend whether 666 mean't anything bad to him.
He asked me if I had been drinking ;).

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson