On Friday 21 February 2003 03:16 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 06:08 am, Tuc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I have :
> > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> >
> >     in my stable-supfile, and on one machine all of a sudden on the last
> > update I have :
> >
> > FreeBSD vjofn.ttsg.com 4.8-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-PRERELEASE #1: Thu
> > Feb 20 13:5 2:11 EST 2003
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VJOFN  i386
> >
> >     Heres my problem. I've been CVSUPing machines with RELENG_4, is
> > there a way I can continue only with the 4.7 tree? I tried :
> >
> > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7

That is correct to continue with the 4.7 release branch.  See below

> >     and it looked like it was re-checking out everything.

> That is what it was doing. You were checking out 4.7-release plus
> security fixes.
correct.  Tuc, you were in essence reverting to 4.7 release plus the security
fixes, which is behind in the development tree from 4-stable (4.x) which is
rapidly approaching 4.8-release.

> > Does that mean
> > it was getting 4.7 as it was first released,

No, it is the release branch.  It is possible to get it as it was first
released with a different tag, but why would you unless one of the security
fixes broke something for you?

>> and when I did
> > "RELENG_4" it was 4.X as current as it was?

yes

> > Is there another tag for
> > "4.7 most current"?

>There is no more 4.7 most current.

Kent, that is not correct.  That is what the release branch *is*.  4.7 release
plus security fixes. and the tag for it is as above.  see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

>You could set the
> date on your cvsup but there won't be any more changes to 4.7-stable.

There is no such thing as 4.7-stable

> It doesn't exist in the current tree. In a while, RELENG_4 will be
> 4.8-release and then 4.8-stable.

That's a way of thinking of it, but a confusing one, and not the one used by
the project.  The stable tree only has a major number like 4-stable or
eventually 5-stable.  The releases are static points along the moving stable
development track  like this

--\------------\----------------\--------->4.x stable
     \-4.6Rel     \-4.7Rel     \-4.8Rel  (soon)
                         \
                          \-4.7Rel-p1
                               \
                                \-4.7Rel-p2   etc

4-stable is called 4-stable throughout the process of branching off releases,
to avoid confusion. (which changing the name of 4-stable after every release
could cause.)   It's just the way it's done.

Tim