On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:52:41PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:18:31AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>
> Secondly, this is a very, very common question on the fetchmail-users
> public mailing list (not at freebsd.org).  Google returns hundreds of
> results for "unable to get local issuer" fetchmail.

Perhaps now but it wasn't as common a couple of weeks ago when it bit
me.

> These messages mean that the POP3+SSL or IMAP+SSL server's SSL certs
> cannot be verified by fetchmail.  What you see are warnings, not
> errors, which is why fetching mail works regardless.  It's recommended
> you fix the warnings.

Yes, they were warnings that TLS failed and that it fell back to
unencrypted plain password.  :-(   Run "fetchmail -v" and see precisely
what the failure was and the solution.

> fetchmail-6.3.8_7, and a couple earlier versions (I would have to check
> to see when it was added), include security/ca_root_nss as a dependency.

I already had that but still had the problem.

> That port includes a list of common public CAs which certificates (on
> the server) can be verified against.

Running "fetchmail -v" I saw that I needed "Equifax Secure Global
eBusiness CA-1" which was apparently lacking from ca_root_nss.
Downloaded from Equifax (Safari on MacOS was happy with their cert) and
added them myself to /usr/local/certs. Some instructions said one must
run some sort of indexing utility against the certs. I found the utility
somewhere practically hidden and tried it. Generated files unlike
anything I had previously. Deleted extra and everything works anyway.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]