I installed (pkg_ad -r) desktopbsd-tools
following instructions from http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:desktopbsd_tools_in_freebsd
I did:
# chgrp wheel /dev/da0
# chmod g+w /dev/da0s1
(I believe USB key is /dev/da0)
# chgrp wheel /dev/ad0
# chmod g+w /dev/ad0s1
(anyway, did that too)
# sysctl vfs.usermount=1
# chmod 1775 /media
# ls -la / | grep media
drwxrwxr-t root wheel /media
# sysctl vfs.usermount=1

started $ /usr/local/bin/dbsd-traymounter
inserted an USB memory key
In Konqueror still nothing to see in /media

what's wrong??

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 20:25:51 Pieter Donche wrote:
If I insert a USB memory stick in my laptop with FreeBSD 7.0 nothing
happens. On the same laptop in the SuSE 10.1 partition, the same USB
stick appears in Konqueror under Storage Media  and is ready to use)
In FreeBSD, Konqueror shows nothing under Storage Media.
Is this normal?

This requires HAL-support with KDE and the KDE MEdia Manager enabled in the
system services. It's fragile to get working and often requires extensive
knowledge of HAL, dbus and policykit. This is where PC-BSD can be seen as
SuSE for linux, as it has configured all these things to work out of the box,
that normally a FreeBSD system administrator would set up.

Alternatively, one can use the desktopbsd-tools from the ports to add some GUI
system tray apps, among which a removable media manager.

--
Mel

   and never get to the software part.