My /etc/ttys looks like this

 ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
 ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
 #ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
 #ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

The "init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8" msg has stopped.

When I start xdm from root command line nothing happens. NO error log msgs, nothing. F1 thru F12 just issue the freebsd console logon prompt.

My understanding is when /etc/ttys contains this statement

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

followed by a kill -HUP 1 command to reread tyys file the following should happen.

F1 thru F8 virtual consoles work as normal (ie: freebsd console logon prompt). F9 thru F12 virtual consoles will show the xdm logon screen.

To make xdm the system default logon method have to add xdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and reboot. Then only the xdm logon screen will be seen on all virtual consoles F1 thru F12. A ctrl+alt+backspace key sequence is the only way to force a return to the freebsd console logon prompt for the Fx virtual console being used.

Is this the correct interpretation of how xdm is designed to function??

I can not find in man xdm or xorg website or handbook an explanation of how it's suppose work.