yes, I found libncurses.so under /usr/lib, which is actual linked to libncurses.so.7 under /lib. And I also have libncurses.so.6 too. I did upgrade my system from 5 to 6 to 7. I didn't do a clean install, since there is so many to back up.
TFC On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:03:14PM -0500, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote: >> as I look into my system, under /usr/local/lib, I found out that I not >> only don't have libncurses.so.5.6, but instead I have >> libncurses.so.5.7. And this file was created this morning (Nov 13, >> 09:03) while I was trying to upgrade my ports. Odd.... >> >> I am running freebsd 7.0, as my uname tells me.. > > Mel's question applies as well (and is something that I've wondered > too). Now I'm wondering this as well: > > How/why do you have libncurses* in /usr/local/lib? FreeBSD 7.0 comes > with ncurses (see /usr/lib/libncurses.so.7). > > You must have some port or piece of software on your machine which is > requiring an old (compat5x) version of libncurses, or you have a machine > that has been upgraded from FreeBSD 5.x to 6.x to 7.x. > > I really don't know what to make of this. > >> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Jeremy Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:12:49AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: >> >> learned a new thing, here is the output: >> >> /usr/local/bin/xgettext: >> >> libgettextsrc-0.17.so => /usr/local/lib/libgettextsrc-0.17.so (0x280a9000) >> >> libgettextlib-0.17.so => /usr/local/lib/libgettextlib-0.17.so (0x280de000) >> >> libcroco-0.6.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libcroco-0.6.so.3 (0x281bb000) >> >> libxml2.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.5 (0x281ef000) >> >> libz.so.4 => /lib/libz.so.4 (0x2831b000) >> >> libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x2832d000) >> >> libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x28342000) >> >> libicui18n.so.38 => /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.38 (0x283f1000) >> >> libintl.so.8 => /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8 (0x28559000) >> >> libpcre.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0 (0x28562000) >> >> libncurses.so.5.6 => not found (0x0) >> >> libiconv.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3 (0x28591000) >> >> libbsdxml.so.3 => /lib/libbsdxml.so.3 (0x28685000) >> >> libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x286a3000) >> >> libncurses.so.5.6 => not found (0x0) >> >> libicuuc.so.38 => /usr/local/lib/libicuuc.so.38 (0x287a4000) >> >> libicudata.so.38 => /usr/local/lib/libicudata.so.38 (0x288b9000) >> >> libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x29390000) >> >> libm.so.4 => /lib/libm.so.4 (0x2945b000) >> >> >> >> it's weird that it still shows libncurses.so.5.6, any thoughts?? thanks!! >> > >> > It's not weird at all. When a binary is linked to a shared library >> > (during the linking phase), the library filename (libXXX.so.X.X) is >> > stored in the binary, not "libXXX.so". >> > >> > I'm not sure how/why a rebuild xgettext is linking to what appears to be >> > a very old version of libncurses. libncurses.so.5.6 would be for >> > FreeBSD 5.x, I believe; my FreeBSD 6.x machines have libncurses.so.6, >> > and my FreeBSD 7.x + CURRENT machines have libncurses.so.7. >> > >> > -- >> > | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com | >> > | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ | >> > | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA | >> > | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB | >> > >> > >> _______________________________________________ >> firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list >> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" > > -- > | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com | > | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ | > | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA | > | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB | > > _______________________________________________ email@example.com mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"