> From: Chad Perrin [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 02:14:07PM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> >
> > I usually just use:
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/env bash
> >
> > It seems to work on both Linux and FBSD.
>
> That does work -- as long as you have bash installed.  How portable do
> you want your script to be?

The point is that I would want it to work seamlessly between different flavors
of *nix and FBSD. Since there seems to be a lack of consistency as to where
'Bash' is installed on different OSs, I find that using the notation I
described works best and seems to improve the portability of the scripts. Since
most of the scripts that I write are 'Bash' specific anyway, the fact that it
would not work if Bash was not installed is of little importance.

By the way, this also works with Perl as you no doubt know. I cannot count how
many times I have installed a Perl script and then had to modify the 'shebang'
in order to get it to work in FBSD. I know that I could probably make some
symbolic links or whatever; however, I feel that, that is the wrong way to get
things to work properly.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry