unfortunately the modification requires a newer version of GCC so I have installed gcc version 4.3.3 from ports.

When I try to run my make command I'm seeing this error

*** WARNING: renaming "_codecs_hk" since importing it failed: Shared object "libgcc_s.so.1"

I see that the gcc 4.3.3 libs were installed in /usr/local/lib/gcc-4.3.3 and I can get things to work by setting up the appropriate -L option and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Is there some way to make these libraries available without this?

look at /usr/local/libdata/ldconfig/