why not learn from where it went wrong and do it better?

what better exactly? sounds interesting. please add some details, because for now i see that it going not better not worse but exactly the same way as my examples.

If FreeBSD becomes popular we'll have to deal with it sooner or later

it IS already popular, it's IMHO second most popular of unices (linux being the first).

With "professionals" (i hate that word, please replace with better :) who need really high performance servers, it have the first place.

In the same time, it's like Rolls-Royce of operating system.

So Rolls-Royce should start to mass-produce cars for everyone? it won't be Rolls-Royce anymore.