Manolis Kiagias wrote:
Ott Köstner wrote:
Manolis Kiagias wrote:

I don't think it is a matter of days, we have not even reached RC status yet on 7.1 On a production server you will probably wish to go with 7.0-RELEASE-p5. It would be trivial to upgrade to 7.1 by means of freebsd-update(8) when it is released. You probably don't want to risk 7.1-PRERELEASE on a server, but for anyone running workstations, desktops, laptops I think it is worth trying at this moment.
I am a person, who made a mistake, installing 7.1 on my production server (actually RELENG_7 stable, which shows up as 7.1).

My question is, how stupid is that mistake? Is it better to reinstall 7.0 before something really bad happens, or can I just let it run? What are the most serious bugs to expect?

Greetings,
O.K.

It all depends on the programs you run, your configuration, system load and so on. Bugs that may be present in the system, may simply not be applicable to you, if you are not using the specific part or feature that has the problem. While it is difficult to assess without knowing specific details, I think 7.1 is generally stable at the moment. Maybe people using it in production servers (if any) can step in and share their experiences.

I have just regular internet things running:
apache22, mysql5, bind94, php5, postfix, dovecot, proftpd, clamav, spamassasin, snmpd...

...plus ipfw and pf

Actually there is one strange thing what I described here before -- 'top' reporting incorrect process times. But this appeared already when I upgraded from FreBSD 6.3 to 7.0. The bug appears on all 7.++ machines, i386 and amd64. Everything is OK with single-threaded processes, but processes with multiple threades are reported incorrectly by top. Anybody else has experienced this?

Also, there was a strange phenomenon with FreeBSD router with pf.
the rule in question is:
'scrub in all'

I do not knw, if this has anything to do with 7.1 issue. Maybe it is not just a good idea to have a 'scrub' rule on router...

Greetings,
O.K.

--
Testi oma Interneti kiirust / Test Your Internet speed:
http://speedtest.zzz.ee/