On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 08:42:12AM +0000, Masoom Shaikh wrote:
> most of the programs installed from ports have large binary size on disk
>
> stripping em all reduces their size dramatically
>
> I cannot see the reason for not stripping them by default ?
>
> do I miss anything ?

I haven't seen anyone point out the downside to stripping binaries and
libraries: removal of debugging symbols.  "The apebajs program suddenly
crashes in some library, here's the now-completely-useless backtrace".
The user is then forced to go back and recompile *everything* to get
debugging symbols.

The non-stripping situation is on a per-port basis, AFAIK.  Not all
ports have WITH_DEBUG.