On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:17:09 -0800
Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I'm looking to write a simple program to extract stuff from Project
>       Gutenberg's books (--of whivh there are tens ofthousands thanks to
>       Michael HArt and his volunteers).  There is no collection of
> metaphors in the public domain, and it wouldn't take that much coding if
> there were a database with
[...]

Hi Gary,
I am not *entirely* sure what you are after, but wordnet comes to mind :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [Wed Nov 19 17:26:26 2008]
/usr/home/betom
$ pkg_info -W `which wn`
/usr/local/bin/wn was installed by package WordNet-3.0

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [Wed Nov 19 17:25:41 2008]
/usr/home/betom
$ wn foot -over

Overview of noun foot

The noun foot has 11 senses (first 7 from tagged texts)

1. (89) foot, human foot, pes -- (the part of the leg of a human being below
the ankle joint; "his bare feet projected from his trousers"; "armored from
head to foot")
2. (81) foot, ft -- (a linear unit of length equal to 12 inches or a third of a
yard; "he is six feet tall")
3. (8) foot -- (the lower part of anything; "curled up on the foot of the bed";
"the foot of the page"; "the foot of the list"; "the foot of the mountain")
4. (4) animal foot, foot -- (the pedal extremity of vertebrates other than
human beings)
5. (2) foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure,
understructure -- (lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of
solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower")
6. (2) foot, invertebrate foot -- (any of various organs of locomotion or
attachment in invertebrates)
7. (1) foot -- (travel by walking; "he followed on foot"; "the swiftest of
foot")
8. foot -- (a member of a surveillance team who works on foot or rides as a
passenger)
9. infantry, foot -- (an army unit consisting of soldiers who fight on foot;
"there came ten thousand horsemen and as many fully-armed foot")
10. metrical foot, foot, metrical unit -- ((prosody) a group of 2 or 3
syllables forming the basic unit of poetic rhythm)
11. foot -- (a support resembling a pedal extremity; "one foot of the chair was
on the carpet")

Overview of verb foot

The verb foot has 3 senses (first 1 from tagged texts)

1. (1) foot, pick -- (pay for something; "pick up the tab"; "pick up the burden
of high-interest mortgages"; "foot the bill")
2. foot, leg it, hoof, hoof it -- (walk; "let's hoof it to the disco")
3. foot, foot up -- (add a column of numbers)

HIH,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
  Billy Wilder