Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:10:55PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
Polytropon wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:34:32 -0800, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The Urchin installation docs [...]
contain a note for FreeBSD users waring of a "hard coded process datasiz limit of 500 MB" and instruct on to set "kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"" in /boot/loader.conf. However FBSD 7.1 doesn't appear to have this sysctl. How can I do the equivalent of this in FBSD 7.1?
Exactly, it is *not* a sysctl setting. It's a loader tunable, as
I learned from this list some time ago. Don't search to find
it in the sysctl list, you won't find it there. :-)

In FreeBSD 7 you should be able to set this setting using
the file /boot/loader.conf. I think I had this setting on a
FreeBSD 5 machine, I'll go and check.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I expected to be able to view it via sysctl even though I understood it could only be changed with a reboot. Is there some way to view the current setting?

Through sysctl.

OK, what am I missing?

urchin# sysctl -a | grep maxdsiz
compat.ia32.maxdsiz: 536870912