Hi,

A friend of mine is trying out FreeBSD and ran into
a booting problem.  Here is his message:

"Well, that's discouraging.

I have put together an old PII 400 with three 20GB drives and a CDROM that I'd like to run BSD on. Half a GB of RAM I figured would be respectable.

Downloaded the ISO files, burned CDs of them and when I try to run them it starts to boot and then freezes tighter than a muskrat's arse.

Three lines coming on the screen and it ends with "Starting the_" and just hangs.

I've got a PIII 1000 here that I use as a file server and the boot disks run fine on that. Just won't boot off the PII 400.

Weird. Really, really weird. I tried five different CDROMs in case it was the actual drive but same thing. I tried using version 6.3 instead of release 7.0 and same thing.

That system doesn't like BSD/Linux whatever.

I use GParted as a partition manager all the time which is bootable and same thing on that machine. It just don't like booting to that OS."

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Vinny