On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM, andrew clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue 2008-11-18 16:47:20 UTC-0700, Kelly Martin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>> With the release of FreeBSD 6.4 imminent, I'd like to prepare for an
>> upgrade from FreeBSD 6.2 -> 6.4.
>
> Have you considered using freebsd-update?  From memory, it supports 6.2.

This weekend I finally got around to trying freebsd-update on 6.2. It
is there and works, but it would only update me to 6.2-RELEASE-p11. It
told me 6.2 was past its end-of-life date (which I already knew).
There was no obvious way to upgrade to 6.3 binaries. I checked the man
page and the configuration file too. Maybe the newer version of
freebsd-update allows upgrades between point versions? (ie., 6.3 ->
6.4 ?)

>> I'm a little confused about different versions of the ports tree. What
>> I mean is, I keep updating my FreeBSD 6.2 ports tree and have never
>> had any problems... it just works. I'm assuming the 6.4 ports tree is
>> a little different and specific to 6.4?
>
> No, there is only one ports tree shared between all FreeBSD versions.
> If you already have an updated ports tree with a 6.2 installation, you
> can keep using that with 6.4 (or even 7.x).

Thanks very much to you and others for putting me on track about how
the ports tree works!

kelly