I am trying to use ntop in the 'border filter' mode to get some statistics on that
link, which is a gigE link typically seeing 40-120Mbps sustained traffic (varies
throughout the day). The capturing interface is an intel pro/100+ server adapter,
plugged into another port on the switch set to mirror the gigE interface.

Obviously there ought to be some drops due to serialization differences, etc. But ntop
is reporting upwards of 2/3 packets dropped in the kernel and running tcpdump on that
interface for any length of time reports usually 50% drops in the kernel.

I have enabled the link0 processing offload onto the nic, changed the nmbclusters
sysctl, and raised all of the send/recvspace sysctl's. I read the tuning manpage, and
applied whatever looked applicable with no discernable results.

The system is running FreeBSD 4.8-PRERELEASE. Machine is a dual p3 1.4GHz with 2.2GB
ram and 1 15krpm IBM SCSI drive on a LSI/symbios logic u160 card. It is using a via
chipset tyan tiger 230T, which is understandably nothing special.

Is there something else I should try, besides getting a gigE card (and gbic) to try
again? I feel like I am not setting something up correctly.

-Will