Fbsd1 said the following on 2008-11-28 08:19:
I checked the ipfilter online handbook and can not find anything about rules for igmp packets, p2p or limewire. I know what a rdr statement does but can not see how it can be applied to a p2p application which does NOT use dedicated port numbers. The only way i can run limewire is to disable my firewall and that does not make me happy.

I think the conclusion is that all 3 of the freebsd firewalls are unable to monitor packet exchange of p2p applications.

Of course not. Just specify multicast to get throu your firewall.

These firewalls were designed before p2p applications were developed and their (p2p) inherent design is to defeat standard firewall designs.