Hello, everyone. This is the problem: our SCSI disk with FreeBSD 4.8 on it has been failing recently, so I copied its root partition to a fresh IDE disk with cp -pR and tried to boot from that. Unfortunately, loader gives me this:
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
and offers prompt. I tried almost any combination of the loader command (like 0:ad0(0,a)/boot/loader) but still the same. The kernels are right there: /kernel and /kernel.old. Can't the root partition be copied this way? Should their location on disk be hardcoded somewhere? Please help me with bootblocks etc. as I'm desperately running out of time.