On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 07:04:51PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Nov 29), Gary Kline said:
> > I found a neat function in publib that should do what I want, but
> > adding either
> >
> > #imclude <publib.h>  // as per man publib
> >
> > OR
> >
> > #include "/usr/local/include/publib.h"
> >
> > fails.  Yes, I am adding "-lpub" to the enc of gcc.  Still bombs.
> > Anybody know why?  Prev'ly when I've used the publib functions, I've
> > had to move/copy a slew of them into my private build.  Be nice if
> > this just-worked!
>
> Try adding "-I /usr/local/include" to your compile line, and
> "-L /usr/local/lib" to your link line.  Also, providing the error
> message instead of just saying "it fails" is helpful.

        Yes; it took just what you [and Andrew Brampson] suggested.  The error
        were a screen full of lines like:

        /usr/local/include/publib.h:6:26: error: publib/alloc.h: No such file or
        directory
        /usr/local/include/publib.h:7:27: error: publib/base64.h: No such file
or
        directory
        /usr/local/include/publib.h:8:27: error: publib/bitarr.h: No such file
or
        directory
        /usr/local/include/publib.h:9:24: error: publib/cmp.h: No such file or
        directory
        /usr/local/include/publib.h:10:29: error: publib/errormsg.h: No such
file
        or directory

        If I had ported publib, I would've stuck publib.h in /usr/include.
Then
        Wirzenius' man page would have been correct, well, modulo the
        -L /usr/local/lib -lpub linkage.  But this is frowned upon in FreeBSD
        land.

 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix