On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 06:17:31AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> Replying to my own message: I found a point for improvement.
> Why use grep when awk can grep by itself?
>
> % wn foot -over | awk '/Overview/ { printf("%s %s\n", $4, gsub("noun", "n.",
> $3)); }'
>
> Ah, much better. :-)

        Thanks for the clue[s], :)

        $3 isn't only an lvalue, it's a constant.  My bad in my first try.
        What you have above prints:

        foot 1  // noun
        foot 0  // verb

        so doesn't work entirely, but is a good start.  (BTW, man gsub turned up
        nothing, so I'm assuming thhat gsub it part of awk.  And [gn]awk.)
        Um, no, same with nawk, gawk, awk.

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix