I have ZFS on my 7.1-PRERELEASE system, and while it does some spiffy things,
in general I'm a bit underwhelmed.

UFS is excellent. your problem is that you like to have "lots of filesystems". why don't just make one or one per disk?

i have one per disk/mirror configuration everywhere except one place where i made separate filesystem for /var/spool/squid for some reasons.

tell me what's your needs and how many/what disks you have.

UFS is best-performer on real load, runs on almost no RAM, but uses more if available for caching.