I used a Matrox G450 dual-head card with earlier versions of FreeBSD/Xfree
but have finally had to upgrade the hardware.  Getting the G450 to display
both monitors using zinerama took a bit of time, but once set it worked
well.

I purchased an ATI Radeon 9600 All-in-wonder primarily for doing some
video capture under MS Windows XP, but the system dual-boots FreeBSD
7.1-PRERELEASE, kernel and ports current as of 11/28/2008.  X server is
7.3 patch 2; the ati driver is 6.9.0 (I can't access the system right now,
so that may be wrong).

I've been unable to get the ATI card to display anything on the secondary
monitor (display is turned off when X11 starts up);  "xrandr" shows
"VGA-1" as connected and "VGA-0" as disconnected, and nothing I've been
able to do with xorg.conf has changed that ("xrandr --auto" does nothing
other than blank the primary screen).  I have seen some references to a
bug in the ati/radeon driver which is "fixed in the next version".

I can't use the G450 either; there appears to be a bug in the mga driver
(which is not installed by default but the vesa driver crashes with the
G450) which stops xrandr form working (or at least that's what I found in
a Google search).

There's a lot of confusing information out there since, as I understand
it, xorg 6.x and xorg 7.x do xinerama differently.

Is there anyone who has gotten an ATI 9600 AIW to work in dual-head mode,
and if so, how did you do it?  Is there a better AGP card which supports a
similar video capture function under MS Windows XP?

Mike Squires
UN*X at home
since 1985, but almost
all on VT100 displays