On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Roland Smith wrote:

Application crashed can also be due to bad hardware, especially memory. Make sure that you rule out hardware troubles before diving into the software.

I don't think it was hardware related, but it's a possibility.

Jogging my memory a bit more I think the first program I had memory allocation problems was tin. Fetching headers from even a semi-large newsgroup would cause tin to crash. I forget the exact error messages but they were something along the lines of not being able to allocate the needed amount of memory. At the times of the failures there appeared to be available RAM with swap space completely untouched. The errors occurred at about the same point in fetching the headers each time. After much Googling I tried adjusting the following:

kern.maxdsiz
kern.dfldsiz
kern.maxssiz

which greatly improved things. But, I adjusted them using examples of values I found on the net without really understanding what I was doing. This time around I want to learn how to tweak whatever settings need to be tweaked to best use my available memory. Are the above settings what I should be adjusting and/or are there others? I know it's probably impossible to give advice on exactly what to tune without knowing the exact errors I was seeing. But some general memory tuning advice might help until I'm able to reinstall and try things out.

P.S. I've switched from tin to pan which seems to be much less of a memory hog, so that helps quite a bit.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX