On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Derek Ragona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

>  At 01:11 AM 12/4/2008, Tim Judd wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Derek Ragona wrote:
> >
> >> I have a freshly installed 7.0 release server.  The configuration files
> >> (all dot files including .ssh  etc.) in /root keep getting deleted.  I
> >> assume this is from a script running from periodic and can be set NOT to
> >> delete these files.  Can someone point me where I need to make this
> change.
> >>  I have already combed through the handbook and mailing list archives.
> >>

> > There is no such standard script in FreeBSD.
> >
> > Kris

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> >

> I'd make sure there's not something like a tmpfs/mfs filesystem that /root
> is being used on.  If / is on a ramdisk image of any kind, on each reboot,
> it should disappear.
>
> Perhaps you should paste your fstab and current mounted filesystems as an
> aid to debug.
>

> I didn't think it would be from the way the filesystems are mounted, so
> here's that information:
>
> cat /etc/fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> /dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/da0s1d             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
>  mount
> /dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
> /dev/da0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>
> /root is on /dev/da0s1a
>
> This particular server is running in a VM on a vmware esx 3.5 server.  The
> server runs fine, but every so often the dot files disappear for root.  I
> have not found the behavior to follow a reboot, but some period of time.
> Hence my suspicions it was a periodic script.
>
>         -Derek

all dotfiles are hidden, in terms of the usability of the files.  Some
shells will alias 'ls' with -a to show all files (including dotfiles).
Other shells don't alias it so it hides the files.

Are you sure they really disappear, or are they gone from a directory
listing because ls is not being called with -(a)ll files displayed?

I just think that your files are not being deleted.  Something is just not
being specified.

Check system crontab file (/etc/crontab) and your own crontab (crontab -lu
root)
Change your root password, incase somebody's in there, deleting your files
to hide their own tracks.

chmod -R 0600 /root

I agree that there isn't something "correct" about this, but i'm positive
it's not a base periodic script that's included in FreeBSD Base install.