I have no idea why 'configure' is run. No configure is run for me at all.
Looks like your ports tree isn't sane. How do you upgrade your portstree?

Instead of using portupgrade, could you just execute the following:
make -C /usr/ports/databases/qt4-sql clean build

If youre new to freebsd, pkg_add -r packagename is infinitely easier than muddling through port build options.

Brian
Well i have been using freebsd for about a yr an i update my ports via svn, but i also maintain a standard copy of the ports tree via csup.

Sadly the same error existed when i tried make -C /usr/ports/databases/qt4-sql clean build ... id gladly use pkg_add if had the pre-build pkg for QT4-sql vers 4.4.2 or even all the QT4 @ vers 4.5