that I could do a bare-metal restore? The essence of the question being I want to

assuming you do gmirror first and then gstripe of gmirror then
use dd to read last sectors of each disk drive and each gmirror device.
and backup disklabels

Thanks for the suggestion. I did, in fact, create a gstripe of two gmirrors. If you don't mind me asking, how would one use the dd output you described above to restore those data? Would it include the gjournal metadata as well?

i don't know how gjournal works but geom data is always at last sector of provider