----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyson Boellstorff" <perl...@alltel.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 7:45 AM
Subject: Re: Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

On Thursday 11 December 2008 19:58:14 Chad Perrin wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 05:00:11PM -0800, prad wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:28:13 -0700
>
> i don't think that's really what is happening, chad.
> i think there is just some disagreement as to what is considered an
> improvement.

So . . . are you saying that increased support for 3D accelerated
graphics is not an "improvement", and should therefore not be considered
a worthy goal?

Not so much considered 'unworthy' as it is a balancing of limited resources. If I was a hardware programmer, had unlimited time, beer, and cheese dip, I'd
add everything just because I could.

It would be cool if there was a way to ensure that all <foo> items would be supported. However, even then, high performance video would lag. It is often
proprietary, and many vendors simply won't publish their specs and need a
reverse engineer to get any support at all. You can't force them to do it,
and in the case of an open source OS, they may not want the world+dog to see
their code for any number of reasons. nVidia is a rare exception, and even
they are not going to put FreeBSD support at the top of their list.

Unless you have a job at some video chipset maker, and are of a truly generous
spirit, willing to risk your job in order to publish drivers, it really
doesn't matter what priority the powers that be give to video acceleration -- we can't ask anyone to risk their job just so <foo> works. If the graphics
devices themselves are sub-optimal, getting related systems up to a
razor-sharp performance level is like putting nitro and a supercharger in
your Lada. You'd have to put it in the back seat, because there's no room in
the engine compartment for it.

What's your problem with Lada?! :-D
They make cars (especially Niva) to drive everywhere!
Just my 2 euro cents... lol