Brian Whalen wrote:
michael wrote:

Brian Whalen wrote:
michael wrote:
has anyone stopped at all during this discussion and considered what you're arguing about? you're all complaining about a SERVER os that doesn't have an nvidia driver for its 64bit implementation and Wojciech. I mean seriously, has this helped anything at all? is ranting on here about those two things going to change 8.0 to be the next best gaming console? no. if you want to use freebsd on your desktop with 3D you can. just run i386. but this entire thread has gone down hill from the OP, and it is nonsense. you get a few more registers with 64bit and some more ram, big deal. show me a gaming console that needs more than four gigs of ram. its not a priority and it shouldn't be. this is a server class operating system that you CAN use on your desk if wanted. even linux in all its glory with an nvidia 64bit driver isn't all that great at gaming, i'm sorry its just not. its not that great with 3D modeling either(in house and proprietary software like maya do not count).

It is a great server OS. Perhaps some would like it to be a better desktop OS? PC BSD not good enough for some I suppose? You could always get a Mac and run the NIX underneath it when needed.
apparently that isn't an option. i see this all the time in the free os market. i want, i want, i want, i want. hello, there are limited developers and they actually have lives outside of freebsd.

Brian
Decide what problem you want to solve, and then get the best tool for that problem
no doubt, unless we get the multimillion dollar donation like ibm did for linux, it is what it is. I like it, it works for me, but I really can't do more than ask for things since I don't write code. I do QA work, that is about as close as I get.

Brian
that would be possible if freebsd ran a bit better on power or powerpc based machines. would also help if it had 15 trillion monkey developers like linux. i can't even get freebsd running on a ppc card in a power server.