probably that they would create "competitors" somehow, magically, without
providing any information that directly encourages competition for their
hardware.  If they wanted to provide per-incident paid software support
or simply charge people extra for drivers, *then* I could see this being
a problem, but I haven't seen a whole lot of that kind of rent-seeking
behavior from graphics adapter vendors.

i don't see any problem. There is a product - for example Nvidia powersuckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hfull 3D accellerators. Their can this, that, blah, blah and blah, they don't have FreeBSD support.

There are other products, they can this that blah blah and have FreeBSD support.

You need blah blah and blah under FreeBSD, you don't buy nvidia.

end of topic.