On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 03:45:35PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Transferring files from my desktop to my laptop with rsync (over a
> > point-to-point netowork connection) is extremely slow, maxing out at
> > around 50 kB/s and often dropping to 0. Both systems show hardly any
> > activity. Is this normal for rsync running over a network? There is a
>
> no.

Good, so there is presumably something I can fix.

> > rsync daemon running on the laptop. Network interface on the laptop is
> > xl(4), the desktop is rl(4).
>
> it may be problem with autoconfiguration of speed and half/full duplex.
> try setting it manually on one or both sides.

Both were showing 100baseTX full-duplex on autoselect. Setting both
manually with 'ifconfig [rl1|xl0] media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex'
didn't improve things.

> it's unfortunately common

:-(

Would swapping the rl(4) card with a xl(4) card help? I've got one in my
spare parts bin. I presume two xl(4) cards would have no trouble talking
to eachother.

Roland