Here is another newbie question that is driving me crazy, but is probably a laughable situation to an experienced admin...

I've got a smallish server that is suddenly out of disk space in the '/' partition.

Probably some log files have gotten out of hand. I am going to start looking for the culprits by hand... basically inspecting sub directories, but there must be a better way!

Is there a command line tool that will help me figure out where the problem is?

Even better, is there a way to proactively monitor the file system, so I can fix problems before I start getting 'out of disk space' errors?

Any hints, much appreciated.

-- John