On Dec 18, 2008, at 12:07 AM, Mel wrote:

On Thursday 18 December 2008 04:03:45 Chris wrote:
I'm trying to keep all FreeBSD servers in my net as I have since the
late 90s. I have a requirement to get a quickbooks enterprise server
running so I was going to attempt to use compat_linux.

It struck me that if I knew the following list of supported linux
implementations, I should be able to figure out the best port
to use. So far, it doesn't seem too clear to me. Here are the
linux versions supported by the 2 daemons Intuit puts out:

CentOS 5
Debian (Lenny)
Fedora 6 / 7 / 8
Mandriva
OpenSuSE 10.2 / 10.3
Ubuntu 6.06 / 7.04 / 7.10 / 8.0

Here are the components needed.

Gamin - 0.1.7.7 or newer or Fam – 2.7.0 or newer
Glibc – 2.5-3 or newer, or Libc6 – 2.5-3 or newer
Libgcc – 4.2.1 or newer
Libstdc++ - 4.2.1 or newer

Which of the linux_base* ports would be best to
attempt to run these two daemons.

I just updated ports and have the following shown
linux_base-f7
linux_base-f8
linux_base-fc4
linux_base-fc6
(and several Gentoo)

On 6.x, use fc4.
On 7.x use fc6 and set compat.linux.os_release to 2.6.16 (which will be the
default for 7.x branch starting 7.1 as far as I know).

You can use others, but these have the widest coverage in production systems
and testing by the emulation team.

Great, thanks! Just to make sure, did you mean
        compat.linux.osrelease
without the underscore. Didn't find the other sysctl.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.