On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:08:44 +0100 (CET)
Pieter Donche <pieter.don...@ua.ac.be> wrote:

> ( decompress to /usr/ports )
> # portsnap extract
>
> ( it is not clear to me if this is correct if one already has
> a /usr/ports created during sysinstall .. )

You need the extract so that the tree is exactly matched to the
snapshot and the correct metadata is created, it's installing the
tree from disk that's not needed.

> In root /etc/crontab, shedule daily updates of /var/db/portsnap :
> 0 3 * * * root /usr/sbin/portsnap cron

> b. For every future upgrade of  gv  (using portupgrade):
> b.1. ( update ports collection )
> # portsnap update
> b.5. do the port upgrade
> # portupgrade -R gv
>
> b.6. install the updated version of ghostview
> # cd /usr/ports/print/gv
> # make install clean

You don't need the last step, that's what portupgrade does.

For the most part it's better to bring all you ports up-to date if you
can, rather than doing it piecemeal.