[ Since this is on-topic, I'm taking it back on-list.  ]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:11:26 +0100 (CET)
Pieter Donche <pieter.don...@ua.ac.be> wrote:

> 'Installing the tree from disk' do you mean with that: the install
> during sysinstall of /usr/ports from what is on the
> FREEBDSD-7.0-RELEASE CD's ?

Yes

> If so, if you have did create a /usr/ports from sysinstall, then only
> a portsnap fetch has to be done, and no portsnap extract
> but only a portsnap update when you need updating a program you
> installed previously from the ports tree ?

Portsnap doesn't know about anything in the ports tree that it didn't
put there itself. For that reason it needs to bring the tree to an
initial known-state by replacing all port directories and other
files. For the same reason you shouldn't mix portsnap and c[v]sup.

> But is it then not better to do a portsnap upgrade immmediatly after
> that first portsnap fetch, since fetch will only get compressed .gz
> files (not decompressed to /usr/ports), so /usr/ports will still be
> of the date of the release of the 7.0 (febr. 2008) ?

The extract will bring the tree up-to-date with the fetched snapshot.
You could use extract instead of update all the time, except that it's
slower and deletes user generated files in the ports directories (e.g.
README.html).