Quoting Ott Köstner <o...@zzz.ee>:

On Thursday 18 December 2008 11:25:51 pm Patrick Baldwin wrote:

I'm thinking I might be best of trying to built him a really
locked-down, high security
box, almost an Internet appliance.  All he really does is use the Web,
and a little
light word processing.

What do people think of FreeBSD as the base OS for this idea?

In this case, I would recommend to use PC-BSD.
http://www.pcbsd.org/

PC-BSD is full FreeBSD 7.1, with nice grapical installer, pre-configured for desktop use. Xorg, KDE, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, flash, etc. -- all will work out of the box...

After installing PC-BSD, you can think of it as a standard FreeBSD -- Upgrade ports, build kernel, etc.

Does anyone know if Flash 9 works on pcbsd? In fact, I use current and it works but hangs probably 4 times a day and I have to kill the linux pviewer.bin processes and restart apache to continue. It is much better than nothing though. I'm still using wine with windows firefox and flash doesn't give me any problems but I have problems with character sets so I use it only for flash.

ed

Regards,
O.K.

--
Mõõda oma inteneti kiirust / Test Your Internet speed
http://tallinn.speedtest.net/