Franck Royer <royer.fra...@gmail.com> writes:

> It's not a "how can I recover my root password" but something more weird.
>
> I copied my root filesystem from a partition to another with rsync -Pia.
> But since that moment, I don't need any password to log myself as root
> or to do a "su" from a user who is in the wheel group.
>
> I did some passwd on root, but that changes nothing. And my normal user
> password wasn't affected.
>
> What can I do ?

Run pkd_mkdb(8) by hand first, to make sure your password files are updated.
[And see if that fixes your problem by itself.]  Once you have done that:

Running chpass(1) *should* work.
Since it didn't, I suggest looking at the password file.
Use vipw(8) for that, and see if there is anything in the password field
for the root password.

                http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/